The Cleveland Museum of Art and the Fred and Laura Ruth Bidwell Foundation announced on September 16, 2011 a collaboration that will bring additional exposure for contemporary art to Northeast Ohio and for the first time in its history expand aspects of the museum’s programming and exhibitions to dedicated space outside of its University Circle campus. Titled the Transformer Station, this new arts venue takes root in a former transformer station built in 1924 at 1460 West 29th Street in Cleveland’s Ohio City neighborhood.
This video highlights speakers from the announcement event including Director David Franklin, Fred and Laura Bidwell, Mayor Frank Jackson, Cuyahoga County Executive Ed Fitzgerald, Councilman Joe Cimperman and more. Curator of Photography Barbara Tannenbaum and Curator of Contemporary Art Paola Morsiani and Christoper Lynn of Spaces Gallery offer additional commentary on the potential of the new space. Produced by Kesha Williams.